Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Brian Johnson (Anthony Michael Hall)


Anthony Michael Hall was sooooooo cute in the 80's! I only discovered this when I watched The Breakfast Club for the first time the other day. I'd heard people crapping on about it before but I didn't think I'd like it.. too 80's (although I'm beginning to think that I may have been too quick to judge the 80's. I misunderestimated the COLOUR and the beautiful girls with thick eyebrows and incredible cheekbone highlighting make-up. I was wrong about you, 80's.) and once you've seen one 90's John-Hughes-rip-off teen film, you've seen them all.

Now I must swallow my own words. The difference with this film is, it is actually a John Hughes film, and the difference between this and a rip-off is incomparable. This was also one of the first of its genre, one of the first teen films to kick the whole trend off, and you can see so many themes that would later be repeated at a way inferior standard in billions of teen dramas to come.

Apparently Judd Nelson became really cool after this movie, but I don't see how Anthony Michael Hall didn't. His character, Brian (the "geek"), is so lovable it's insane. He's just a sweet, nerdy, funny, adorable geek with a heart of gold. I love the way he looks with his frulletty hair and his round-neck green "sweater" and his skinny physique and his comical facial expressions. He made me melt, especially when he cried, and I wanted to die for him when Bender was making fun of his family. My heart broke.

 I wish someone would invent a time machine so I could go back to 1984 and marry the Anthony Michael Hall who existed during that time, because look at what he became!


Where are the cheekbones? The curls? The cute, awkward gait? Gone to be forgotten in the sands of time. DEVASTATING. Also, apparently his ex-girlfriend got a restraining order against him when he tried to kick down her door, and then when she let him inside he bashed her head against a wall. This is not the Brian I fell in love with!

But at least, thank God, the phenomenon that is film will ensure that the memory of Brian Johnson lives on forever, as well as in my heart's memory, which shall never forget!


No comments:

Post a Comment